Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Japan and it's differences

There are a few things that all the Japanese people seem to believe in

1.Drinks
2.Umbrellas
3. Cash

First –Drinks

The Japanese are definitely aware of how important a variety of delicious iced tea, juice, and coke are and also the need to access them at any point during the day. At least, it seems that way since there are drink vending machines on every corner. And all these vending machines offer iced coffee, tea, juice, coke, and carbonated juice drinks. Coke is really the only dark soda that they serve in Japan- and the rumor is that the Japanese hate root beer and dr. pepper. On my ride into school there are at least four places where I can stop and buy something to drink. Because of this my craving for soda has been considerably reduced. Coke seems to pale in interest when I can have “grape juice and aloe” (I have actually had that. The ‘aloe’ comes in jelly like cubes and the drink is made by minute maid).
Also, I don’t know what they do to the drinks in Japan but all of them are more flavorful and taste exactly like the label claims. A Kirin brand of apple juice tastes like eating an apple. And grapefruit soda tastes like grapefruit. And melon soda is bright green and tastes like melons. It’s awesome. And I love iced milk tea. Water seems pretty uncommon though, at least drinking straight water. Tea is really the hydrating fluid in Japan. At first it weirded me out and I was thirst all the time, but now I find a cold glass of iced tea really refreshing.

Umbrellas

They really do carry them everywhere, and not just the tiny collapsible ones – but mostly those old fashioned large ones. A huge range of stores sell them and in a huge variety of colors and materials. Also, outside of each building there is a place to stash your giant umbrellas. Which is a pretty trusting thing to do. Also, I see people biking with umbrellas all the time. Only in a really heavy downpour I see people wearing raincoats.

Cash

Japan is a cash society and almost no places take credit cards. Which means that I watch my money being burned through a lot more easily. Which is a good thing, but since I tend to send a lot of money in Japan it sort of freaks me out. If there weren’t such excellent sales and tons of cute clothes and things I fall in love with in a second…
I’m trying hard to stop myself from buying everything I see but it has been rough. At least none of the shoes or pants will ever fit me – which is kind of how I planned when I was packing. I left a lot of room for shirts and that was a brilliant move on my part. I am really thankful that I got the scholarship that I did because without it I would be in a panic about money. I still panic but the scholarship does a lot to ease my mind.

No comments: