Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Hey all

A short update –
I have had a nice few days and things are looking up on the meeting Japanese people front. I will supposedly meet with people from the school art club tomorrow and there was an (expensive) dance club event last Tuesday. Today I hung out with the host mom and sister. We went to a giant dollar store that had the coolest stuff. You seriously wouldn’t know it was 100 yen. So whatever gifts I give out I am absolutely not telling you the price of them.
My host sister took me on a bike ride to a buy/rent dvd/ cd/ manga/book store and we got an old but popular Japanese movie. It was about a Japanese otaku boy saving a girl on the train from a Ji-kan (drunk groping man) and how he makes an Internet forum where people give him advice about how to date the girl. And how everyone’s lives are changed in the process. It was adorable. And I’m sure there is a subtitled version in the US if anyone wants to see it. It’s call ‘Train man’ or something. I did have to watch it in Japanese only because there weren’t subtitles. The fact that I can halfway understand the dialogue was pretty cool. But the long sections of dialogue went totally over my head.
Oh, I also recommend this week’s ‘This American Life.’ It was a really good show this week.
As usual, lots of love from across the ocean!

3 comments:

wayne said...

We love you Lilly! It's 7:25 on Saturday night and Mom is on the phone with Nate; but we will call when she's done. It's Sunday morning there now, so I hope we catch you before you go out fo the day.

love, Dad

Genevieve said...

Hooray for halfway understanding the dialogue without subtitles!

I understand the joy of that accomplishment.

Jen said...

I love Train Man! Do you remember the agoraphobic boy wearing a hoodie who has a rabbit? He's so cute!